Monday, March 17, 2014

Artist Spotlight ::: An Interview w. Typhoon

Ahead of their much anticipated show tonight (3/18/14) at Terminal West in Atlanta, YOTHT had a chance to catch up with Devin Gallagher of Typhoon.  Be sure to pick up their latest album White Lighter and listen as you read along below.
Photo courtesy of Typhoon's Facebook Page 
You Ought To Hear This: Where did the electric eleven get its start? Are you all from the same area?
Typhoon: We started in Salem, OR. All of us are from Oregon except Jen (Indiana) and Pieter (California).  

YOTHT: Has there been any evolution to the band, member change, change in sound/direction?
T: Yes, a lot. We've been together for almost nine years. For an example: I was the sound engineer, then a guitarist, then the sole drummer, then a percussionist, and now I mostly play electric ukulele.  

YOTHT: When did you each get your start in music?
T: A lot of us played music in school. All of the original Salemite members played in garage bands and we were playing in coffee shops and the like through our teenage years. 

YOTHT: What are some of your individual influences?
T: We have a great many. Personally, I'd cite (in order) Motown, The Beatles, 90s alternative rock, K Records, post-millennial indie rock, and minimalist composers Glass, Young, and Riley. 

YOTHT: How did you come about deciding on a name for the group?
T: Toby, Kyle, and Tyler experienced a typhoon in Japan. A man there explained to them what the word means to him, and they thought it was good for a band.  

YOTHT: With eleven members, it must be hard to coordinate schedules for the recording process, practicing, and touring. How have you been able to get on the same page?
T: We just make this our priority. I've quit jobs, missed weddings, missed funerals, gave up a college scholarship, and dissolved businesses to be in this band.

YOTHT: With all this coordinating I’m sure being a band in the digital age has its benefits. Not only is it easier to interact with one another, but also your fanbase. How do you feel about social media these days and your ability to connect with fans worldwide and vice versa?
T: I like being able to interact with fans. It meant a lot to me when I was a kid and Animal Collective returned my email. I talk with fans most every day. 
  
YOTHT: Last summer you launched a kickstater campaign to fund your fall tour in support of White Lighter.  Talk about the success of the venture.
T: Specifically, we raised money to buy a van. It's great. I[‘m] sitting in it now. The biggest thing is it's safe, our old van wasn't. 

YOTHT: How did you come up with the different pledge “rewards”? What was the best experience you had, other than the actual tour, through this process?
T: We brainstormed a long time. Playing the private meet and greet shows was really fun.

YOTHT: At what point did you know you could make a living in music?
T: We're not making a living at this. We have day jobs. Or, I did... I had to quit a job bussing tables to go on this tour.

YOTHT: If you weren’t in music, where would you see yourselves?

T: I can't really see myself doing anything else. Maybe a different type of art. 


YOTHT: Describe the recording process and how you handle arrangements between all the different instruments and vocals.
T: On White Lighter, we arranged as a group a lot. Kyle arranges and writes all the vocal stuff. We play as a group a lot, then record one at a time with Paul Laxer, our producer and 12th member. 

YOTHT: How long did the recording process for White Lighter take?
 T: It was 80% done after forty days, but it was almost a year before it was completely finished.

YOTHT: What influence did the city of Portland have on your music?
T: For me, Portland influences how I feel about music more than what I play, but bands like Y La Bamba have been influential for sure.  

YOTHT: Where do you typically find inspiration for writing?
T: I don't write Typhoon songs, but I do write songs and I'm inspired by stuff that scares me and confuses me and overwhelms me.  

YOTHT: How do you pass the time on the road?
T: Today I read about musicology and listened to old country tapes, did some crosswords, played a word game with the back portion of the van, took a nap, and did this interview.

YOTHT: What is your favorite city to play?
T: I love playing in Montana and Denver and Salt Lake City. Mountain Time knows how to party.  

YOTHT: What rituals does the group have on the road/preshow/recording?
 T: We always do a group cheer before we play. We sing the theme from "Final Fantasy".

YOTHT: Favorite food on the road(or food you’ve discovered on the road)? City for food?
 T: I eat tacos almost everywhere I go. The south has no tacos, though! I miss them. 

YOTHT: Are you a fan of the resurgence of vinyl records and the return of people to local record stores? Did you frequent record stores growing up?
T: I bought a phonograph and a Robert Johnson LP when I was 13. I've owned and operated multiple record labels that pressed vinyl. I hate digital music. 

YOTHT: What is your favorite place you’ve played? Most memorable concert you’ve played? Most memorable concert you’ve attended? Is there one venue that sticks out that would be your dream spot? Is there a festival that is on your bucket list to play/attend?
T: Playing Newport Folk Fest was a high thrill. 

YOTHT: Do you all as a band have set goals? If so, what are they? What are your dreams for the future?
T: We hope to quit our day jobs some day. After that, maybe be above the poverty line? 

YOTHT: What music do you listen to clear your musical palate?
 T: Minimalism, gamelan, jazz. 

YOTHT: Are there any bands/artists you’re close to and share tour notes with?
T: Wild Ones! 

YOTHT: Who do you see as the up and comers in music?
T: I don't know. I'm listening to the Sons of the Pioneers. 

YOTHT: What’s your favorite new music/artist/album?
T: I like Sun Angle and Like a Villain. 

YOTHT: Who are you currently listening to?
T: Today: Skrill Meadow, Sons of the Pioneers, Patsy Cline, Willie Nelson, Philip Glass. 

CONNECT with TYPHOON
Don't rely on spotify to listen to their record, once you fall in love with the group purchase it!

No comments:

Post a Comment