Thursday, February 4, 2016

Shaky Knees Artist Spotlight ::: Wolf Alice


Time for a confession. I have no idea what Wolf Alice sounds like. So here gives an almost live reaction to my thoughts and trite opinions.



So I've only just googled this crew and my gut reaction is that they look young, wild, and ready to take you with them. Having an attractive female in the group doesn't hurt either. 

Pressing play now. 

I'm starting out with "Bros". And I was correct - so fun! Bright but subtle, this track has tender sentiments supported by sweet, poppy-centered melodies. I can only imagine "Bros" getting into the right hands of a DJ and shredding it to pieces. In doing some research, Wolf Alice has only been around for a short spell. In the past six years, they has evolved from a two piece to the quartet group we have today. Hailing from North London, what started as a small acoustic group evolved into an alternative electric throw down. Which makes sense as to why they sound the way they do. Having fun but honoring a beautiful melody. 



"Your Loves Whore" reminds me a lot of something I would have heard in a 90's rom com. However, more modern and playful elements are involved when it intentionally pauses throughout some of it.  "Moaning Lisa" is something straight out of a Nirvana album. WHICH I LOVE. It isn't any wonder why Wolf Alice won Best Breakthrough Artist in 2014 from the UK Festival Awards. As their music continues to play, I'm realizing I absolutely need to see these guys and completely rage with the youths. Lots of jumping up and down and head banging. Needs to happen - especially when "You're A Germ" comes on. 



Not to say that their music doesn't have any down time. "Blush" is a shoegazing, heart aching, track that is simple and grows in depth as it continues. Lead singer Ellie Rowsell, has some pipes on her! She can sing quietly or completely howl without wavering.
So there you have it - silly conjecture from a first-timer with Wolf Alice. I'm off to put their album on repeat and anticipate the day when I get to see them live. Til then. 



Similar Artists ::: Circa Waves, Peace, Palma Violets, Torres
Live Grade ::: From what I can tell, they're an A! 
Essential Tracks ::: Bros, You're A Germ, Giant Peach, Blush


No comments:

Post a Comment