Monday, March 4, 2013

Abbey Road Live at the Georgia Theatre 03-01-13 (All Star Beatle Jamboree)


Set 1
Back in the U.S.S.R.
A Hard Day's Night
In My Life
I Want to Hold Your Hand
I Should Have Known Better
Eleanor Rigby
And Your Bird Can Sing
Don't Let Me Down
Lucy in the Sky With Diamonds
Money (That's What I Want)
If I Needed Someone
Can't Buy Me Love
Dear Prudence
You've Got To Hide Your Love Away (ft Wilmot Greene)
Rocky Raccoon (ft Wilmot Greene)
Lady Madonna
Sgt. Peppers Lonely Hearts Club Band/With a Little Help From My Friends
Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da
The Word
Help!
Get Back
Revolution
Day Tripper 

Set 2
Come Together
Something
Maxwell's Silver Hammer
Oh Darling
Octopus's Garden
I Want You (She's So Heavy)
Here Comes the Sun
Because
Abbey Road Medley (You Never Give Me Your Money, Sun King, Mean Mr. Mustard, Polythene Pam, She Came in Through the Bathroom Window, Golden Slumbers, Carry That Weight, The End)
Her Majesty

Encore
Sgt. Peppers Lonely Hearts Club Band (Reprise)/A Day in the Life
While My Guitar Gently Weeps
Twist and Shout
Helter Skelter

45 songs... Some setlist right? Well, from 9:15 to 12:45 on Friday night (with only a 15 minute break in between set's 1 and 2), Abbey Road Live played all of these songs with a little help from their friends (see what I did there). Puns aside, some of Athens most notable musicians joined this Beatles tribute act on stage, including Caroline Aiken, Mike Mantione of Five Eight, and Jason NeSmith of Casper and the Cookies. The show was truly fantastic as they did a great job of staying true to the original songs while incorporating some new jams and modernizing the music at the same time. They started off with two Beatles' classics: Back in the U.S.S.R. and A Hard Day's Night (both in this video):

 The next video I want to post here is their rendition of Eleanor Rigby. They did not have a violinist, so they had a very unique interpretation of the song: 

 A song where they stayed a little truer to form was John Lennon's classic social unrest song Revolution:

I also thought Mantione did a great job on some of the Beatles "screamers" (my phone died before they played Helter Skelter, which I really wish I could have posted here), and here he is leading Sgt. Peppers Lonely Hearts Club Band which leads into With A Little Help From My Friends:


Another great track from the night was Lady Madonna, Paul McCartney's tribute to Fats Domino as well as the "working class mother" out there: 


The last video I will post comes from one of the highlights of the night. Owner of the Georgia Theatre Wilmot Greene decided he wanted to get in on the action and took the lead for You've Got To Hide Your Love Away: 


I've said before here that some people don't like tribute acts and some never will. I personally am a big fan, especially of this band. I mean, where else will you get the chance to see these tracks played live? It was fantastic to see the range of ages of people in the crowd. There was a lady I work with who is in her late 40's, but there were also 18/19 year olds rocking to some of the best music ever written. I am really glad I got to see this show and am looking forward to next month sometime when the bad said they would be playing a show here in Athens where they play Rubber Soul and Revolver in their entireties. 



"And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make."
-The Beatles 

No comments:

Post a Comment