Wednesday, January 2, 2013

A rebuttal to the below post/Top 20 shows of 2012 for me.

I think my esteemed colleague Robert did a fantastic job with the list he compiled of top shows here. Unfortunately, he did have to miss a chunk of that Foo Fighters show at Music Midtown, but I'm sure it would have been higher had he seen Joan Jett play "Bad Reputation" with the Foos. Anyway, since it is currently midnight here in beautiful Athens GA and the Gators just lost to Louisville, I will only put a top 20 here, most of which will consist of shows from Bonnaroo, Lollapalooza, and Music Midtown:

20:  Phish at Bonnaroo 2012: Lot's of bourbon that night is the reason this made the list. More for the experience had with friends in a ridiculously muddy pit and making fun of hippies than anything else

19. Electric Guest at Bonnaroo 2012: The only reason I saw this band was to get close for Two Door Cinema Club, and they were a pleasant surprise.

18. Big Gigantic at Bonnaroo 2012: The people I was with (ahem) wanted to see Alabama Shakes instead, so this was mostly missed. But what I did see was amazing and will see them in full on at the Tabernacle on February 1st (so pumped)

17. Red Hot Chili Peppers at the Gwinnett Arena (Atlanta) 4-10-12: Good show, but not great. Hearing Wet Sand live was a treat. The Peppers will be back later in this list.

16. Arctic Monkeys/The Black Keys at the Bojangles Coliseum (Charlotte) 3-24-12: This show was fantastic because not only was the show great and it was the first time I ever saw TBK, but it was in Charlotte, a city that I love. TBK will also be back later...

15. The Beach Boys at Bonnaroo 2012: This show was great purely for the nostalgia. I wasn't really close for it (chillin in the VIP section), but hearing all those old songs was awesome.

14. M83 at Lollapalooza 2012: This show was much better than I expected it to be. With EDM style music like this, it's hard sometimes to make it translate live, but M83 did a great job. Hearing Midnight City and Reunion live were especially awesome.

13. Skrillex at Bonnaroo 2012: As Robert mentioned, this show was great from the tents,  but I was in the VIP pit about 3 rows away from the stage. I had never been to a dubstep show before this one and I was amazed at how much energy there is. I was tired after the RHCP show that preceded this, but am extremely glad I toughed it out. It was awesome too that Skrillex did a tribute to the fallen MCA of the Beastie Boys.

12. Of Monsters and Men at Lollapalooza 2012: I had not heard much about them before Lollapalooza, but Robert and crew drooled over the aftershow they did the night before, and seeing them the next day was truly awesome. Such a smooth band that sounds very similar live to in studio.

11. Fun. at Bonnaroo 2012: I elected not to see Young the Giant in lieu of staying for this whole set and despite being surrounded by 16 year olds, this set was, well, fun. This band has a lot of energy and closed out with a cover of You Can't Always Get What You Want by The Rolling Stones which was pretty sweet.

10. Rubblebucket/Reptar at the Georgia Theatre November 9, 2012: This might need to be higher it was sooo good. I only knew Rubblebucket from seeing them appear onstage with Foster the People at Bonnaroo, but they put on a fantastic show to open for Reptar. Reptar was awesome as ususal, and they were accompanied by Rubblebucket for most of their show. The guitarist for Reptar also crowd surfed on his own mattress, so there's that too...


   Next, there is a 5 way tie for 5th and a 3 way tie for second (I know, it's the cheap way out, but I really could not separate some of these...)

5. Childish Gambino (Donald Glover) at Bonnaroo 2012: What can I say about this show that Robert didn't?? Well nothing really. The freestyle was epic!

5. Two Door Cinema Club at Bonnaroo 2012: This show was unbelievably good. They had the crowd going the entire time, and I was literally in the second row from the stage, which made it even better (except for getting kicked in the head by crowd surfers, who we then started to hurl over the barricade which was fun...)

5. Passion Pit at The Masquerade 10-20-12: This was another incredible show. They were much better live than I anticipated and the highlight of the night was when streamers shot out from the rafters above the stage during Sleepyhead.

5. Foster the People at Bonnaroo 2012: From start to finish, this was one of the best shows I have ever been to live. Torches is one of the best debut albums I can remember, and they played it to perfection here. The dubstep ending to Pumped Up Kicks was awesome and so was Mark Foster jumping up on the barricade about ten feet from us.

5. Bloc Party at Lollapalooza 2012: Robert hit the nail on the head with this one. The energy was unbelievable. I cannot wait to see them again on January 16th at the Tabernacle. This show got so intense that we saw a guy in front of us get his tooth knocked out in a Circle of Death (basically a European version of a mosh pit). The use of Rihanna's We Fell In Love as an intro to their song Flux was awesome, and Helicopter as the closer was amazing.

2. Pearl Jam at Music Midtown 2012: I had been waiting to see Pearl Jam since I first listened to them in the 90's and this show did not disappoint. The hits were ringing out: Black, Jeremy, Evenflow, Corduroy, Why Go, Alive, Rearviewmirror, and to top it all off, they closed with Neil Young's classic Rockin' in the Free World. It was truly incredible.

2. The Black Keys at Lollapalooza 2012: It's not that the set list was that much better here than it was in Charlotte, it's just that they played it better here. They were on fire from start to finish, and the highlights for me were Your Touch, Lonely Boy, Little Black Submarines, and Everlasting Light.

2. Foo Fighters at Music Midtown 2012: This show is one of the best shows I have ever seen. They played everything I wanted to hear, and they played some tunes with Joan Jett, including Bad Reputation. What made this show even more special was that it may turn out to be the last full Foo Fighters show for a while, as they are now on "hiatus" whatever that means.  

1. Red Hot Chili Peppers at Lollapalooza 2012: Was there ever any doubt? This is possibly the best show I have ever seen mainly because of the amazing set list. They opened with Monarchy of Roses as they did with every show on this tour, but they then finally played a song I had waited to see since I saw them at Bonnaroo and in Atlanta earlier in the year: Around the World. They also played Snow and Suck My Kiss, which made this, for me, the best show of 2012  


No comments:

Post a Comment