Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Who's Bad: The Ultimate Michael Jackson Tribute Band (Georgia Theatre, Jan. 10, 2013)

 
(Billie Jean)

Okay, so cover bands often get a lot of flack, but I am one of those who finds them a necessity in the world of music, especially when you live in a small town that can't draw the real deal (or if the real deal, Michael Jackson, is dead in this case). I've seen my fair share of cover bands over the years, but Who's Bad by far takes the cake. Fronted by Taalib York, the members of this band come from all over. When York walked out on stage, I thought Michael had come back from the dead. His dance moves were incredible, as seen here in their rendition of Smooth Criminal:
 
(Smooth Criminal)

But it's not just about the moves, the sound is amazingly accurate, almost a carbon copy of Michael Jackson. These guys are so good that after MJ's passing, they booked the same arena (the O2 in London) that Michael was going to have his last shows at and they sold the place out (20,000 seats!)
They even did one of my all time favorite Michael Jackson songs off his first solo album Off the Wall titled "Rock With You":

(Rock With You)

I grew up listening to this music, thanks to my Aunt who had Off the Wall, Thriller, and Bad all on vinyl. This is why cover bands are a GOOD thing. They allow you to hear music live that you normally would not be able to hear. There is a fantastic Beatles cover band from right here in Athens called Abbey Road Live and they really bring the Beatles music to life and even modernize it a little bit. I suggest seeing both of these acts, as they really do a fantastic job of paying homage to acts that really revolutionized music and can no longer be heard live (unless you want to pony up the $100 MINIMUM it would take to see Paul McCartney in concert). Overall, this was one of the funnest shows I've been to at the Georgia Theatre; everybody was dancing, singing, and just having a blast. Last but not least, the show ended with my all time favorite MJ song...

(Beat It)

P.S. All videos shot by me at the Georgia Theatre on January 10, 2013. 


No comments:

Post a Comment